Guest rooms! What can they tell about your hospitality?
Making a space welcoming and hospitable is the goal when designing guest rooms. Whether designing a guest room in a large suburban space or in a compact city dwelling, each has its own challenges. With careful planning and creativity, guest rooms will be an expression of the host’s style, hospitality and thoughtfulness.
Here are some tips and ideas when designing a guest room:
- Consider adding a layer of down to cover the bed for extra comfort; a comfortable bed is a must!
- Vary the pillows from soft to extra firm and let the guests decide what is more comfortable for them.
- Buy soft, smooth bed sheets. Egyptian cotton with a high thread count is recommended. How about adding fresh cotton fragrance when storing the linens? (But before doing so, be sure to ask if your guest has any allergies.)
- Add upholstery to add personality. Upholstered headboards, pillow shams, Euro shams, decorative pillows, bed skirts, and canopies tell so much about the host.
- Put a vase of fresh flowers on the bedside table. Flowers are another way to tell the guest they are important and are welcome in the home. Again, be sure your guests don’t have allergies. If they do, silk flowers of high quality can be used and will fool anyone into thinking they’re fresh.
- Display a few photos of family members, trips taken or special events. Photos evoke a conversation with guests and discussions of happy times. Another fun idea is to have a wall display with specially chosen words of wisdom. Special quotes can be framed or stenciled on walls.
- Consider putting a coffee maker or electric kettle in the room with a selection of high-quality teas. Add a silver tray with fine china, various sugars, honey, and a pitcher with glasses for cold water. Doing this ensures that guests can enjoy a fresh cup of coffee or tea early in the morning in their own bedroom without disturbing the hosting family.
- Incorporate a reading corner with a comfortable chaise or chair, a soft comfy shawl, and a stack of well read books.
- Pay attention to details and add those extraordinary trims, buttons, tassels, and fringes. Those details say something special about the host and make guests feel special.
All the careful planning will bring a smile to guests’ faces and will give them a wonderful experience in your guest room that they will never forget.
Call us for free consultation: (630) 420-0800
Here are some pictures of details and ideas you can use for your own home!