Keep in mind a few tips to help you start your “update the home” project:
- Plan and prioritize. You will not feel the pressure financially or emotionally if you tackle one small area at a time.
- Select your style. Look through magazines and design books to help you decide what you like and don’t like. Put together a “style board,” mark pages in books and magazines, or put photos of what you like in a folder to help you decide your color scheme and your style. Then start thinking about fabrics and paint colors.
- Paint is last not first. Many people think they should paint first, but it’s so much easier to select paint colors after you have found fabrics you love than it is to find the right fabric to match your walls.
- Throw away or donate items that you don’t use. Clutter detracts from the beauty of any room. I (and most designers) can help you decide what to keep and what to toss or donate.
- Start with furniture. I’ve learned from working with clients for more than 20 years that furniture is the firm foundation on which you can build that special look and feel. After replacing or upgrading furniture, add window treatments and flooring. And last – like icing on a cake or a big bright bow on a gift – add accessories to personalize your rooms.
- When working with a design pro, discuss what you But you should also be open to ideas from a different perspective and be open about your budget. Open communication helps you achieve your dream home.
comment frequently heard when clients are considering a window treatment – whether a privacy shade or a decorative treatment – or both. Elegant window fashions, well designed, are a complement to any view.
Well designed window treatment will compliment the window and the view.
The image above (found on Line) shows the draperies on one side of the window, it does not affect the view at all and it can cut the glare when needed.
This image shows a bay window dressed with roman shades that can be pulled up to almost clear the window, and side panels on each side. Notice how the panels turn to allow more view of the outside.
The above room is a perfect example on how the draperies added opulence and beauty without affecting the view.
If you are working with a window covering designer you need to express your desire to not block the view, he or she will come up with solutions to help you achieve your goal.
For a complimentary design consultation and an estimate call (630)420-0800.
The Illuminated Room
A new client in Burr Ridge, Illinois, asked me to design his living room and said he wanted a unique design. He further said he wanted me to create “the WOW! factor” with a design that I’ve never done for another client.
An exciting challenge for a designer, right? Well, after giving it some thought, I decided to create “sculptural” window treatments for the five windows in the room.
The room has a curved wall with a faux finish with honey, gold, gray and a hint of golden green. That was my base for a color scheme.
We selected furniture with contemporary styling, in black and gray with a hint of rust/copper. The coffee table was very interesting! It’s oval-shaped and finished in copper, resembling a smooth pebble.
Deep thought was given to the design of the five tall, slender all windows. I needed to create a design to enhance the overall look of the room and the play up the height of the windows.
I found this amazing fabric that was perfect in terms of colors and texture. The background was in blackened, antiqued silver with woven lines of copper that stretched up and down across the length of the fabric. Perfect choice! I also found an amazing trim with diamond stones woven in rows across the band, which added amazing elegance and style.
So, I thought to myself, “Why not create curved cornices to echo the curved wall?” I imagined covering the cornices with that perfect metallic fabric and using the diamond-covered trim as a decorative element to add sparkle and draw the eyes up to enhance the height. Another thought: “Why not install LED lights within the cornices to illuminate the ceiling, and install drapery sheers under the cornices?”
Voila! Unique idea, I hadn’t done this before, and I was positive that my client would love it!
As expected, the client approved. Construction and installation took 12 weeks, a little longer than average; the delay was because I had to find the perfect electrician to make my design come to life.
I found the perfect light fixture for the narrow wall that one sees when entering the room. It looks Like a shield with the light right in the center. A unique choice for a unique room! The room is not quite complete. We need an area rug, side tables, and accessories. I will post photos of the room when we have selected the right elements to complete the look. The following photos show the room as it is now:
Call (630) 420-0800 For free consultation and estimate!
Unity in a neighborhood is nice, but what we really want is a home that expresses our unique personality; one in which our friends and family say “WOW!” when they walk in. Homeowners generally start with the unified look of Blinds, Shades and Shutters for light control and privacy and then add the WOW impact with custom window treatments. Draperies, fabric shades and top treatments will give you a unique look and the WOW you want. Great decorating ideas that help you express your own uniqueness using custom draperies, blinds, shades or shutters are my specialty at Gailani Designs. It’s easy to get started with my free In-home consultation and also free phone consultation, you can gather your thoughts and begin the look you have always desired. Call (630)420-0800.
Please view the photos below for ideas:
Our Client from Burr Ridge IL has expressed her desire to get new draperies for her home with a regal, majestic feel.
The drapery treatment design consists of an arched cornice trimmed with a four inch beaded trim from the Renaissance collection by Brimar.
Two sets of drapery panels drapes over the cornice that gives the window treatment it’s elegance and regal look.
For new ideas and free estimate call (630) 420-0800
When my client entered her living room to see her new custom drapery, she was totally wowed!
Helping clients to achieve their dreams, and give them an environment that makes them happy and proud, is the most rewarding part of my profession.
For free estimate call (630) 420-0800.
Have you noticed what is out there as far as sheer draperies? Now more than ever you will find the most amazing sheer fabrics that make a dynamic statement in any space.
Sheers with cut outs, sheers with burned velvets, embroidered sheers, and so many stunning fabrics that will let your jaw drops!
Here are some examples: